Background * History
- Labradorite is a gemstone that was named after Labrador in Canada, where it was found on the Isle of Paul, near Nain in 1770. Labradorite is a Plagioclase Feldspar which shows adularescence (a white or bluish light seen when turned). This optical effect is so unique to Labradorite that it has been termed »labradorescence«. It is the result of diffraction of light in the layers of rock. There are three further types of Labradorite; Spectrolite, Andesine-Labradorite and Rainbow Moonstone (which is sometimes referred to by the trade name, »Madagascar Moonstone«). As the trade name indicates, Rainbow Moonstone comes from Madagascar and it has an intense blue schiller. Spectrolite is a rare Labradorite from Finland. Andesine-Labradorite is created by enhancing the colour of Labradorite.
Healing * Metaphysical Properties
- Labradorite is a tremendously spiritual stone.
- It is especially helpful for people who tend to overwork.
- It helps us regain our energy and aids our bodies and spirits in healing themselves.
- If you practice meditation, focusing on Labradorite can help you enter and maintain the meditative state.
- Labradorite is also thought to soothe menstrual problems, aid disorders of the lungs, prevent colds, help with digestion and regulate both metabolism and blood pressure.
**Please note that all metaphysical or healing properties listed are collected from various sources. This information is offered as a service and not meant to treat medical conditions. Moirai.si does not guarantee the validity of any of these statements.
|Color||grey to blue with green and blue flashes|
Origin and Gemstone Sources
- Canada, Australia, Madagascar, Mexico, Norway, Russia and USA.
- To clean your Labradorite, simply use soapy water and a soft cloth. Be sure to rinse well to remove soapy residue. As with most gemstones, ultrasonic cleaners and steamers are not recommended.
- When storing gemstones or gemstone jewelry, store them inside a fabric-lined box or wrapped in a soft cloth separately from other type of gemstones to prevent damage or scratches.
- It is best to remove any jewelry before engaging in any strenuous physical activity, such as exercise or sports.
- Avoid spraying perfume or hairspray on your precious gems.
- Leo, Scorpio, Sagittarius, Virgo