Background * History
- Tourmaline was known for centuries by the name Schorl, but the name Tourmaline comes from the Sinhalese (Sri Lanka) words »Tura Mali« meaning unknown gemstones of mixed colors. Tourmaline displays a greater range of colors than any other known gemstone. The most common color available is black, but every color of the rainbow can be found. Tourmaline comes in a wide family of varieties. The red colors are called Rubellite and blue colors are Indicolite. Other colored Tourmaline names are Verdite for green, Dravite for browns, Achroite for the rare colorless Tourmaline, Schorl for the most common black Tourmaline and Paraiba, which is a rare variety of vivid green.
Healing * Metaphysical Properties
- Pink Tourmaline represents a love of humanity and humanitarianism. It is worn to promote sympathy towards others. It carries the virtue of unconditional love and friendship. It’s also for people who bear a broken heart as it encourages love and gently disperses emotional pain and dissolves disruptive feelings. It calms the negative emotions that upset relationships. Pink Tourmaline is highly valued by people that have difficulty dealing with fear and suffer from panic attacks or are in need of something to help them heal their inner chaos and dread.
- Watermelon Tourmaline has been said to be a stone of reconciliation, a stone that fosters compassion and cool headedness, radiates the energy that attracts money, healing and friendship while stabilizing, grounding and reaffirming our Earth roots.
- Blue Tourmaline creates a commitment towards the completion of one’s goals and is said to protect the wearer against dangers.
- Black Tourmaline repels negative energy. It is suggested to carry this stone when you feel surrounded by negativity and it is great for use in times of crisis or extreme stress. It will protect the wearer until they are strong enough on their own power by breaking through old patterns and fears and cultivating inner wisdom, courage, stability and patience.
- Red tourmaline builds inner strength and wisdom because it unites the heart and body in love and passion. It also brings joy, emotional stability, compassion and devotion.
**Please note that all metaphysical or healing properties listed are collected from various sources. This information is offered as a service and not meant to treat medical conditions. Moirai.si does not guarantee the validity of any of these statements.
|Color||black, brown, gold, blue, violet, green, pink|
|Hardness (Mohs)||7 – 7.5|
Origin and Gemstone Sources
- Brazil, Afghanistan, Australia, Burma, India, Italy, Madagascar, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Nepal, Nigeria, Pakistan, Russia, Sri Lanka, Switzerland, Tanzania, USA, Zaire, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
- Do not clean Tourmaline in a home ultrasonic cleaner. Tourmaline jewelry can be cleaned with a mild solution of gentle dish-washing detergent and water at home.
- When storing gemstones or gemstone jewelry, store them inside a fabric-lined box or wrapped in a soft cloth separately from other type of gemstones to prevent damage or scratches.
- It is best to remove any jewelry before engaging in any strenuous physical activity, such as exercise or sports.
- Avoid spraying perfume or hairspray on your precious gems.
- Virgo, Libra, Capricorn, Leo, Aquarius