Background * History
- Sunstone is typically orange to reddish in color and its spangled appearance is reminiscent of the sun, hence its name “sunstone”. The metallic shimmering effect is caused by tiny platelets of Hematite, Goethite or Pyrite. Sunstone is a gem-quality member of the feldspar group of minerals. It is famed for its aventurescence, often referred to as “schiller”. Not all sunstone exhibits strong aventurescence or schiller. The intensity of the optical phenomenon depends upon the size of inclusions, which are typically composed of Hematite or Goethite. Smaller inclusions tend to exhibit more sheen, while larger inclusions appear as glittery, spangled metallic reflections. There are actually a few different varieties of Sunstone available today. Sunstone can be a variety of Plagioclase feldspar (Oligoclase Sunstone) or Potassium Feldspar (Orthoclase Sunstone). Oligoclase Sunstone is more common.
Healing * Metaphysical Properties
- abundance, balance, cartilage, commitment, depression, digestion, encouragement, energy, enthusiasm, fame, fear, fortune, good luck, happiness, harmony, independence, inspiration, instincts, intuition, joy, leadership, love, mental clarity, metabolism, nightmares, optimism, pain, phobias, prosperity, protection, rheumatism, self-confidence, self-empowerment, self-esteem, self-healing, sexual energy, spinal, stability, stomach, strength, stress, peace, throat, ulcer, vitality, wealth…
**Please note that all metaphysical or healing properties listed are collected from various sources. This information is offered as a service and not meant to treat medical conditions. Moirai.si does not guarantee the validity of any of these statements.
|Color||Orange, red, brown, pink|
|Hardness (Mohs)||6 – 6.5|
|Specific Gravity||2.62 – 2.65|
|Refractive Index||1.525 – 1.548|
Origin and Gemstone Sources
- India, Canada, Madagascar, Norway, Russia, USA…
- Sunstone is not very durable or hard compared to most other types of gems. It can also have a grainy, splintery fracture, which means that it requires some care during cutting or wear. It can easily be cleaned using warm soapy water and a soft cloth or brush. Be sure to rinse well to remove any soapy residue. As with most gemstones, ultrasonic cleaners and steamers are not recommended.
- When storing gemstones or gemstone jewelry, store them inside a fabric-lined box or wrapped in a soft cloth separately from other type of gemstones to prevent damage or scratches.
- It is best to remove any jewelry before engaging in any strenuous physical activity, such as exercise or sports. Avoid spraying perfume or hairspray on your precious gems.
- Libra, Leo