Background * History
- Sugilite was named after the Japanese petrologist, Ken-ichi Sugi, who first identified it in 1944 in Iwagi Islet, Japan. In 1980 Sugilite was officially classified as a rare gem, which caused its price to increase. Sugilite gets its attractive purple color from traces of manganese. It can range in color from pinkish-purple to deep bluish-purple. Sugilite can also contain yellowish or reddish blotches and light purple or white patches.
- The most highly valued sugilite gemstones are a uniform and intense purple. A great deal of sugilite has patches, veins or layers. Attractive or interesting patterns are also desirable in Sugilite. Sugilite usually occurs in massive form and crystals are extremely rare. Sugilite may be mixed with chalcedony quartz, or black matrix, which results in variable distinguishing characteristics, such as hardness.
Healing Properties * Metaphysical
- allergies, anger, Asperger’s syndrome, asthma, autism, blood, brain, communication, confidence, creativity, dreams, dyslexia, endurance, forgiveness, grief, grounding, headaches, higher consciousness, hopelessness, hostility, inflammation, insomnia, inspiration, jealousy, joy, learning, love, lymph system, motor dysfunction, negativity, nerve center, nightmares, pain, paranoia, peace, physical stamina, pineal gland, pituitary gland, positive energy, prejudices, protection, schizophrenia, sorrow, spirituality, stress, viruses…
**Please note that all metaphysical or healing properties listed are collected from various sources. This information is offered as a service and not meant to treat medical conditions. Moirai.si does not guarantee the validity of any of these statements.
|Chemical Composition:||Na3KLi2 (Fe3+Mn3+,Al) 2 [Si12O30]|
Origin and Gemstone Sources
- Japan, South Africa, India, Australia, Tajikistan, Italy, Canada…
- Sugilite is fairly tough and durable due to its indistinct cleavage. The best way to clean Sugilite is by using soapy water and a soft cloth. Be sure to rinse well to remove soapy residue. As with most gemstones, ultrasonic cleaners and steamers are not recommended.
- When storing gemstones or gemstone jewelry, store them inside a fabric-lined box or wrapped in a soft cloth separately from other type of gemstones to prevent damage or scratches.
- It is best to remove any jewelry before engaging in any strenuous physical activity, such as exercise or sports.
- Avoid spraying perfume or hairspray on your precious gems.
- Sagittarius, Capricorn, Pisces