Background * History
- The name sapphire comes from the Greek word »Sappheiros«, meaning »blue«. Sapphire is a gem quality variety of the mineral Corundum. The name »Corundum« comes from the Sanskrit word »Kuruvindam«, meaning »Ruby Sapphire«. Most natural Sapphire is quite pale and light in color. Only a small percentage of natural Sapphire exhibits vivid and intense colors without some type of treatment or enhancement. Colored Sapphire is often referred to as Fancy Sapphire and Fancy Sapphire is typically traded using color specific names such as Yellow Sapphire, Green Sapphire or Purple Sapphire.
Healing * Metaphysical Properties
- Throughout history Sapphire has symbolized truth, sincerity and loyalty.
- It is also thought to bring peace, joy and wisdom to its wearer.
- Sapphire restores balance within the body, aligning the physical, mental and spiritual planes, bringing serenity and peace of mind.
**Please note that all metaphysical or healing properties listed are collected from various sources. This information is offered as a service and not meant to treat medical conditions. Moirai.si does not guarantee the validity of any of these statements.
Origin and Gemstone Sources
- Myanmar, Sri Lanka, India, Australia, Africa, Cambodia, Brazil and USA.
- Sapphire can be cleaned using a soft cloth or brush and plain warm soapy water. After wiping, be sure to rinse your sapphire well to remove soapy residue. Sapphire can change color under extreme heat, so avoid extreme temperature fluctuations. Also avoid the use of any harsh household chemicals and cleaners, including bleach or hydrofluoric acid, as chemicals can cause corrosion.
- When storing gemstones or gemstone jewelry, store them inside a fabric-lined box or wrapped in a soft cloth separately from other type of gemstones to prevent damage or scratches.
- It is best to remove any jewelry before engaging in any strenuous physical activity, such as exercise or sports.
- Avoid spraying perfume or hairspray on your precious gems.
- Virgo, Libra, Sagittarius, Aquarius, Pisces, Aries, Taurus, Gemini