Background * History
- Rutile is named after Latin word “Rutilas” – meaning golden red, alluding to its common color, especially in transmitted light. When it is found in Quartz, Kunzite, Hematite, etc. it is called “Angel Hair”. Rutile is a Titanium ore. It forms in lustrous needle-like inclusions. The Rutile needles form lovely patterns like miniature sculptures. Every stone is quite unique – some have delicate hair-like intersecting needles; others have dense clusters of thicker needles. Golden-coloured Rutile typically occurs in a slender acicular form. The small needles of Rutile found in gems cause an optical phenomenon known as asterism. Rutile crystals frequently form as elbow or cyclic twins.
Healing * Metaphysical Properties
- strengthens the aura, relationships, trauma, astral travel, dreams, meditation, intuition, bronchitis, impotence, lactation, veins, regeneration, clarity, antidepressant, emotional wounds, spiritual awakening…
**Please note that all metaphysical or healing properties listed are collected from various sources. This information is offered as a service and not meant to treat medical conditions. Moirai.si does not guarantee the validity of any of these statements.
|Chemical Composition||SiO2 – TiO2|
|Color||Blood red, brownish yellow, brown-red, yellow, greyish-black, black, brown, bluish or violet|
|Hardness (Mohs)||6 to 6.5|
|Specific Gravity||4.20 to 4.30|
|Refractive Index||2.609 to 2.903|
Origin and Gemstone Sources
- Brazil, Kyrgyzstan, Myanmar, Russia and Sri Lanka
- Rutile can be quite sensitive to strong pressure, high temperatures, and harsh household chemicals and cleaners. Avoid exposing Rutile to bleach or sulphuric acid. Rutile can be cleaned using warm, soapy water. Wipe down stones using only a soft cloth and be sure to rinse well to remove any soapy residue.
- When storing gemstones or gemstone jewelry, store them inside a fabric-lined box or wrapped in a soft cloth separately from other type of gemstones to prevent damage or scratches.
- It is best to remove any jewelry before engaging in any strenuous physical activity, such as exercise or sports
- Avoid spraying perfume or hairspray on your precious gems.
- Gemini, Taurus, Virgo