Background * History
- The actual word of origin for Peridote is from the French word »Peritôt«, meaning unclear, because of the numerous inclusions and internal fractures often found within Peridote gemstone beads. Chrysolite, an older German word, was also used to describe it before the word Peridote was applied to all gem quality Peridote stones. Sometimes referred to as Olivine, it is only found in color green. The shade and depth of green color present in Peridote is dependent on the proportion of Iron present in the stone, and the deeper the green, the smaller the amount of Iron that is present.
Healing * Metaphysical Properties
- Peridote is believed to bring good health, restful sleep and peace to relationships by balancing emotions and mind.
- This friendly bright green stone also has the uncanny ability inspire eloquence, creativity, bring delight and good cheer.
- It attracts love and calms anger by giving renewal to all things.
- Peridote has been long considered a powerful aid to repairing and maintaining friendship and supposedly, it frees the mind of envious thoughts that can damage and strain relationships.
- It can also be used to protect you from the evil eye.
**Please note that all metaphysical or healing properties listed are collected from various sources. This information is offered as a service and not meant to treat medical conditions. Moirai.si does not guarantee the validity of any of these statements.
|Chemical Composition||(Mg, Fe)2SiO4|
|Color||medium-pale lime green|
|Hardness (Mohs)||6.5 – 7|
Origin and Gemstone Sources
- Arizona, Mexico, Oregon, Norway, Pakistan, Russia, Sri Lanka, Canary Islands, China, Brazil, Hawaii, Australia and South Africa.
- The best way to clean Peridote is with warm, soapy water. You should protect it from scratching and sharp blows that can fracture or shatter the stone. Also, avoid large temperature changes, ultrasonic cleaners and steam cleaners that could damage the stone.
- When storing gemstones or gemstone jewelry, store them inside a fabric-lined box or wrapped in a soft cloth separately from other type of gemstones to prevent damage or scratches.
- It is best to remove any jewelry before engaging in any strenuous physical activity, such as exercise or sports.
- Avoid spraying perfume or hairspray on your precious gems.
- Gemini, Leo, Virgo, Scorpio, Sagittarius