Background * History
- The name »Onyx« comes from the Greek word »Onux«, which means fingernail, referring to the translucence of the white-colored layer of the multi-layered stone. Onyx is a form of Chalcedony, which is Microcrystalline Quartz. It is formed in the gas cavities of lava. Onyx is black and white banded Agate. It should not to be confused with Onyx Marble, which is Limestone. Its multi-layering is similar to Agates. When the stone has a black base and a white upper layer, it’s called Onyx. When the base is brown, it is called Sard-Onyx and when the base is red it is called Carnelian.
Healing * Metaphysical Properties
- regeneration, new beginnings, protection, prosperity, inner strength, self-confidence, mental discipline, negative emotions, fear, anxiety, emotional wounds, childbirth, eyes, ears, skin, hair, teeth, nails…
**Please note that all metaphysical or healing properties listed are collected from various sources. This information is offered as a service and not meant to treat medical conditions. Moirai.si does not guarantee the validity of any of these statements.
Origin and Gemstone Sources
- Argentina, Australia, Brazil, India, Botswana, Madagascar, Mexico, Myanmar, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Uruguay and the USA.
- To clean your Onyx, simply use soapy water and a soft cloth. Be sure to rinse well to remove soapy residue. As with most gemstones, ultrasonic cleaners and steamers are not recommended.
- When storing gemstones or gemstone jewelry, store them inside a fabric-lined box or wrapped in a soft cloth separately from other type of gemstones to prevent damage or scratches.
- It is best to remove any jewelry before engaging in any strenuous physical activity, such as exercise or sports.
- Avoid spraying perfume or hairspray on your precious gems.
- Gemini, Leo, Virgo, Capricorn