Background * History
- Obsidian was named after Obsius, a Roman who discovered a similar stone. Obsidian is naturally occurring volcanic glass. Obsidian forms when lava cools. It has been used to make smooth and sharp surgical scalpel blades. Obsidian has been used to make arrow heads and blades, as well as ornaments for thousands of years. In its pure form, Obsidian has a dark body color due to the presence of Iron and Magnesium. Obsidian can be classified into types according to a variety of characteristics. However, some basic types of Obsidian include the following: Mottled (Snowflake and Peanut Obsidian), Banded or Veined (Mahogany, Midnight Lace and Pumpkin Obsidian), Pebbles or Small Nodules (Apache Tears) and Sheen (Sheen Obsidian, Cat’s Eye, Rainbow and Fire/Flame Obsidian).
Healing * Metaphysical Properties
- Obsidian is a strongly protective stone.
- It forms a shield against negativity.
- It draws out mental stress and tension and it stimulates growth on all levels.
- Obsidian brings clarity to the mind and clears confusion and also dissolves emotional blockages and ancient traumas.
- SILVER SHEEN OBSIDIAN – is believed to bring advantage throughout life. It improves perception, sharpens the senses and intellect. Silver Sheen Obsidian promotes articulate communication to others. It helps keep personal likes and dislikes from affecting rational decision-making. It helps us to understand behaviors and to refine undesirable traits. It can enhance patience and perseverance when needed. Silver Sheen Obsidian is a marvelous stone for out-of-body journeying as it provides a strong connection between the physical and astral bodies. Silver It is also a soothing stone for those who have issues with a possessive mother, whether she is still alive or remains in memory.
- BLACK OBSIDIAN – protects us against negativity. It is good for fear, anger and stress. It can discourage the dissatisfaction of others. It helps us to release the built-in negativity from the aura and in contact with the spiritual world. It is known to help release from various addictions, eating disorders, negative behaviors and emotional blockages.
- MAHAGONY OBSIDIAN – is vitalizing gemstone. It eliminates the energy blockages and can accelerate the growth at all levels. It is a stabilizing stone that strengthens the aura and establishes a balance on the sexual chakra and solar plexus. It relieves pain and improves blood circulation. It improves the flow of our creative energies and protects us against psychological attacks. It provides grounding and protection. It is often used to help with the decision-making process.
- RAINBOW OBSIDIAN – is a stone of “pleasure”. It facilitates the enjoyment of one’s own life and gives us a sense of gratitude. He teaches us about spiritual nature and complements heart energy. It is a stone of love. It has strong protective properties. It can absorb negative energy from the aura and can discourage stress. Rainbow Obsidian opens and activates all chakras. It helps alleviate fear at home and at work. It brings happiness and joy.
- BLUE OBSIDIAN – helps us with astral travel and increases telepathy. It activates the throat chakra, supports communication skills and opens the aura. It helps us with speech disorders, eye disorders, Alzheimer’s disease, schizophrenia and personality disorders.
- BLUE-GREEN OBSIDIAN – opens the heart and throat chakra. It allows us speaking truth and understanding from the heart. It balances mind, body and mind. Improves the assimilation of vitamins A and E and improves the night vision.
- SNOWFLAKE OBSIDIAN – encourages us to grow spiritually. It has very strong protective properties. It absorbs negative energy from the aura and eliminates stress. Neutralizes pain and breaks blockages. Reduces wound healing time. It strengthens health, intuition and circulation. It dissolves tension and alleviates shock. It can clear our thoughts and strengthens the logic. It is useful for veins, skeletons and smooth skin. It is very good for protection.
- GOLDEN OBSIDIAN – gives us knowledge of spirituality. It can balance the energy fields. Improves meditation and gives us patience and perseverance. It connects astral bodies to the physical body. He offers us protection and relieves stress. It is good for aura, negative energy and can support us in achieving our goals.
- SPIDERWEB OBSIDIAN – grounding, knees, hips, protection, emotions, mood swings, depression, inner strength, mental clarity, creativity, stress, spirituality, astral travel…
**Please note that all metaphysical or healing properties listed are collected from various sources. This information is offered as a service and not meant to treat medical conditions. Moirai does not guarantee the validity of any of these statements.
|Chemical Composition||SiO2 + H2O|
|Color||black with white inclusions|
|Hardness (Mohs)||5 – 5.5|
Origin and Gemstone Sources
- Argentina, Armenia, Azerbaijan, Canada, Chile, Georgia, Greece, El Salvador, Guatemala, Iceland, Italy, Japan, Kenya, Mexico, New Zealand, Peru, Scotland, Turkey and the USA.
- To clean your Obsidian, simply use soapy water and a soft cloth. Be sure to rinse well to remove soapy residue. As with most gemstones, ultrasonic cleaners and steamers are not recommended.
- When storing gemstones or gemstone jewelry, store them inside a fabric-lined box or wrapped in a soft cloth separately from other type of gemstones to prevent damage or scratches.
- It is best to remove any jewelry before engaging in any strenuous physical activity, such as exercise or sports.
- Avoid spraying perfume or hairspray on your precious gems.
- Scorpio, Sagittarius, Aquarius, Capricorn