Background * History
- Malachite probably derives its name from either Greek »Malhe«, meaning grass for its green color or Greek »Malakos«, meaning soft because the stone lends itself well to being carved. Malachite is a striking green marble-like stone that is mainly a hydrous Copper Carbonate compound. It is the Copper content of Malachite that gives it the green color. Malachite is light to very dark green. Eye-like rings are the most popular bands, and Malachite with these markings is known as »Peacock’s Eye«. The more water that is in the Copper, the lighter it will be and the smaller an amount of water will make the green darker. The absence of water completely will produce a black striping. When polished, it has a silky luster, but resins are usually used to enhance this shine as well as protect the surface of the stone.
Healing * Metaphysical Properties
- Malachite helps reveal and heal emotional pain by absorbing the pain into itself.
- It is especially helpful in bringing ease during times of change and gives the insight needed for personal growth.
- This is a wonderful, empowering stone to wear when starting a new project or job or moving to a new home.
- Malachite has been traditionally used to ward off danger and fight illness.
- Malachite tends to draw negative energy and disharmony into itself.
- Periodically recharge your Malachite’s energy by placing it on a clear quartz cluster, then rinse with cool, clean water.
- Malachite is said to bring harmony into one’s life.
- Wearing it can assist in the manifestation of the heart’s desire and strengthen intuition.
**Please note that all metaphysical or healing properties listed are collected from various sources. This information is offered as a service and not meant to treat medical conditions. Moirai.si does not guarantee the validity of any of these statements.
|Color||vivid, bluish green to green|
|Hardness (Mohs)||3.5 – 4|
|Specific Gravity||3.75 – 4.10|
|Refractive Index||1.655 – 1.909|
Origin and Gemstone Sources
- Russia, Zaire, Australia, Chile, Namibia, Zimbabwe and Arizona.
- Do not clean Malachite in a home ultrasonic cleaner because the protective resin surface can be damaged or removed. Malachite is sensitive to heat, acids, ammonia, and hot waters. Rinsing Malachite in clean water is safe. Let it air dry.
- When storing gemstones or gemstone jewelry, store them inside a fabric-lined box or wrapped in a soft cloth separately from other type of gemstones to prevent damage or scratches.
- It is best to remove any jewelry before engaging in any strenuous physical activity, such as exercise or sports.
- Avoid spraying perfume or hairspray on your precious gems.
- Libra, Scorpio, Capricorn