Background * History
- Kyanite is a gemstone quality Aluminum Silicate sometimes referred to as Disthene, Rhaeticite or Cyanite. Its name is derived from the Greek word »kuanos« or »kyanos«, which means »deep blue«, to its typical blue color. However Kyanite can also be colorless, white, gray, green, orange or yellow.
Healing * Metaphysical Properties
- Kyanite is believed to aid with self-expression and communication.
- Kyanite is thought to be able to open the body’s center for communication.
- It is often used for deep meditation and is best worn near the throat chakra, though it is thought to have a balancing effect on all chakras.
- Kyanite is said to never accumulate or retain negative energies. Due to this attribute, Kyanite may be used to cleanse and clear other gems and crystals.
**Please note that all metaphysical or healing properties listed are collected from various sources. This information is offered as a service and not meant to treat medical conditions. Moirai.si does not guarantee the validity of any of these statements.
|Color||blue to colorless, blue-green, brown|
|Hardness (Mohs)||4 -4.5 (along axes); 6-7 (across axes)|
|Specific Gravity||3.53 to 3.70|
|Refractive Index||1.710 to 1.734|
Origin and Gemstone Sources
- Austria, Burma, Brazil, Cambodia, India, Kenya, Nepal, Russia, Serbia, Switzerland, Tanzania, USA and Zimbabwe.
- Kyanite is fairly durable, but compared with many other gemstones, it is a little fragile. Avoid the use of ultrasonic cleaners or steamers when cleaning Kyanite, and avoid bleach or other harsh chemicals and cleaners. Clean your Kyanite with water and a mild soap. Wipe stones with a soft cloth and rinse well to remove soapy residue.
- When storing gemstones or gemstone jewelry, store them inside a fabric-lined box or wrapped in a soft cloth separately from other type of gemstones to prevent damage or scratches.
- It is best to remove any jewelry before engaging in any strenuous physical activity, such as exercise or sports.
- Avoid spraying perfume or hairspray on your precious gems.
- Aries, Taurus, Libra