Background * History
- The Mayans and Aztecs regarded Jade highly. The name »Jade« originates from the Spanish »piedra de ijada« meaning »stone for the pain in the side«. The Chinese refer to Jade as »yu«, which means »heavenly« or »imperial«. Jade was also found on the South Island of New Zealand and has been treasured for many years by the Maoris, who call it »pounamu«, »green stone« or »New Zealand Jade«. Pounamu has been made into Maori tools, such as chisels and fish hooks, and weapons, such as short clubs and ornaments. This New Zealand jade is usually Nephrite. Spinach-green Nephrite from the Lake Baikal region of Russia is known as »Russian Jade«. Jadeite is the rarer of the two varieties of Jade, and as a result it is more precious. The most valuable variety of Jade is a striking and even emerald green Jadeite, known as »Imperial Jade«.
Healing * Metaphysical Properties
- Green Jade offers physical and emotional well-being, especially during unpleasant or difficult situations, by helping us feel more grounded.
- It increases love and nurturing.
- A protective stone, Jade keeps the wearer from harm and brings harmony.
- Jade attracts good luck and friendship.
- It stabilizes the personality and promotes self-sufficiency.
- Stimulates ideas.
**Please note that all metaphysical or healing properties listed are collected from various sources. This information is offered as a service and not meant to treat medical conditions. Moirai.si does not guarantee the validity of any of these statements.
|Chemical Composition – Nephrite Jade||Ca2(MgFe)5(Si4O11)2|
|Hardness (Mohs)||6 – 6.5|
|Chemical Composition – Jadeite||NaAl(Si2O6)|
|Hardness (Mohs)||6.5 – 7|
Origin and Gemstone Sources
- New Zealand, Australia, Brazil, China, Canada, Zimbabwe, Russia, Taiwan, Alaska, Poland, Myanmar, Japan, Guatemala, Kazakhstan, Turkey, Cuba and USA.
- To clean your Jade, simply use soapy water and a soft cloth. Be sure to rinse well to remove soapy residue. As with most gemstones, ultrasonic cleaners and steamers are not recommended.
- When storing gemstones or gemstone jewelry, store them inside a fabric-lined box or wrapped in a soft cloth separately from other type of gemstones to prevent damage or scratches.
- It is best to remove any jewelry before engaging in any strenuous physical activity, such as exercise or sports.
- Avoid spraying perfume or hairspray on your precious gems.
- Aries, Taurus, Gemini, Libra, Aquarius, Pisces, Virgo