Background * History
- Howlite was named after Henry How, who discovered it in 1868 in Nova Scotia. Howlite is a borate mineral, which occurs in Canada and parts of the USA. It forms as irregular nodules which can appear in the shape of a cauliflower head. Transparent Howlite crystals are extremely rare and they are very small. The nodules can occur in masses of over 50 kilograms. Howlite has the appearance of white marble or porcelain with a sub-vitreous luster. It is opaque and white or grey, black or dark brown veins running through it. It also occurs in transparent crystal form, but this is extremely rare. Howlite is best known for imitating other gemstones. Due to its porous nature, Howlite can absorb dye well, which means it can be sold as Turquoise, Red Coral, or Lapis Lazuli.
Healing * Metaphysical Properties
- abundance, aggression, anger, anxiety, bones, calming stone, circulatory system, concentration, contentment, emotional pains, enlightenment, focus, happiness, insomnia, learning, luck, meditation, memories of previous lives, memory, mood stabilizer, negative energy, osteoporosis, peace, prosperity, selfishness, skin, stress, teeth, third eye chakra, thoughtlessness, wealth, wisdom…
**Please note that all metaphysical or healing properties listed are collected from various sources. This information is offered as a service and not meant to treat medical conditions. Moirai.si does not guarantee the validity of any of these statements.
|Specific Gravity||2.45 – 2.58|
|Refractive Index||1.583 – 1.600|
Origin and Gemstone Sources
- Canada, USA, Turkey, Germany, Mexico, Russia…
- Howlite is softer than many other gems, so it can be easily scratched. Since Howlite dissolves in hydrochloric acid, harsh household chemical cleaners should be avoided. It can easily be cleaned using warm soapy water and a soft cloth or brush. Be sure to rinse well to remove any soapy residue. As with most gemstones, ultrasonic cleaners and steamers are not recommended.
- When storing gemstones or gemstone jewelry, store them inside a fabric-lined box or wrapped in a soft cloth separately from other type of gemstones to prevent damage or scratches.
- It is best to remove any jewelry before engaging in any strenuous physical activity, such as exercise or sports. Avoid spraying perfume or hairspray on your precious gems.
- Gemini, Virgo