Background * History
- Dumortierite is an Aluminum Borosilicate and was first described in 1881. It was named after French paleontologist, Eugene Dumortier (1803-1873). Since it is known to turn remarkably pure white in color when fired, it is often used for the production of porcelain and ceramics. Dumortierite is one of the rarer and more unusual blue varieties of Quartz. It is a combination of Quartz aggregate, intergrown with the mineral known as Dumortierite. Blue colored Quartz is surprisingly quite rare. Dumortierite colors can range from red-brown to violet-blue, and from dark to light blue. Dark blue is the most common color. Many stones may also exhibit whitish streaks or spots along with their blue color. Dumortierite mineral impurities within the Quartz are responsible for the blue color.
Healing * Metaphysical Properties
- brain, control of our life, courage, cramping, depression, diarrhea, epilepsy, fear, headache, hypersensitivity, nausea, patience, peace, personal addictions, pregnancy symptoms, self-esteem, selfishness, skin disorders, stomach ache, stress, stubbornness, throat chakra, thyroid, travel sickness, vomiting…
**Please note that all metaphysical or healing properties listed are collected from various sources. This information is offered as a service and not meant to treat medical conditions. Moirai.si does not guarantee the validity of any of these statements.
|Color||light blue, blue, dark blue, violet-blue, white-blue, red-brown|
|Hardness (Mohs)||7 – 8.5|
|Specific Gravity||3.26 – 3.41|
|Refractive Index||1.678 – 1.689|
Origin and Gemstone Sources
- Brazil, Canada, France, Italy, Madagascar, Mozambique, Namibia, Norway, Poland, Sri Lanka, USA…
- Dumortierite does not require much when it comes to care and maintenance. It is considered to be quite hard and very durable. Dumortierite can easily be cleaned using warm soapy water and a soft cloth or brush. Be sure to rinse well to remove any soapy residue. As with most gemstones, ultrasonic cleaners and steamers are not recommended.
- When storing gemstones or gemstone jewelry, store them inside a fabric-lined box or wrapped in a soft cloth separately from other type of gemstones to prevent damage or scratches.
- It is best to remove any jewelry before engaging in any strenuous physical activity, such as exercise or sports. Avoid spraying perfume or hairspray on your precious gems.
- Leo, Virgo, Capricorn