Background * History
- The actual name »Chalcedony« originated from the Latin word »Chalcedonius«, which is thought to be derived from »Chalcedon«, an ancient seaport of Asia Minor, now Kadikoy, Turkey. It belongs to the Quartz group of minerals and is distinguished by translucency and has a solid, lighter color, typically ranging from bluish to white or gray. Chalcedony is compact silica most often found in sedimentary and volcanic environments. Formation occurs over a long period of time, as minerals are slowly deposited into a pocket of another type of rock, such as Granite. Areas that host volcanic activity frequently harbor the most abundant Chalcedony deposits.
Healing * Metaphysical Properties
- emotional balance, stamina, endurance, kindness, responsiveness, receptivity, generosity, charity, friendliness, balance off all body energies, fever, leukemia, eye illnesses…
**Please note that all metaphysical or healing properties listed are collected from various sources. This information is offered as a service and not meant to treat medical conditions. Moirai.si does not guarantee the validity of any of these statements.
|Color||medium blue, light blue and white|
|Hardness (Mohs)||6.5 – 7|
Origin and Gemstone Sources
- USA, Uruguay, India, Madagascar, Myanmar (Burma), Mexico, Brazil and Africa.
- Chalcedony can be easily cleaned using warm, soapy water and a soft cloth or brush. Be sure to rinse well to remove any soapy residue. As with most gemstones, avoid the use of any harsh household chemicals (bleach, sulfuric acid etc.) when caring for or cleaning chalcedony. Chalcedony is quite porous, which means that it can be easily stained and absorbs chemicals and colors very easily.
- Avoid prolonged exposure to extreme heat, as heating quartz can permanently alter the color of your gemstones.
- When storing gemstones or gemstone jewelry, store them inside a fabric-lined box or wrapped in a soft cloth separately from other type of gemstones to prevent damage or scratches.
- It is best to remove any jewelry before engaging in any strenuous physical activity, such as exercise or sports.
- Avoid spraying perfume or hairspray on your precious gems.
- Cancer, Virgo, Sagittarius, Aquarius, Aries, Taurus, Scorpio