Background * History
- Carnelian or Cornelian was named after the red-orange Kornel cherry and belongs to the quartz group of minerals. Carnelian is classified by its distinct color and is defined as a red-orange to brownish red variety of Chalcedony Quartz. Carnelian obtains its color through Iron impurities that form within colorless Quartz Crystal.
Healing * Metaphysical Properties
- Carnelian was believed by the Romans to be a stone of courage.
- From antiquity carnelian has been worn in cameos in the belief that it will ward off insanity and depression.
- In the home, it is sometimes used as a talisman to protect against fire and misfortune.
- Carnelian is believed to bring good luck to its wearer.
- Carnelian is known to protect its wearer from bad energy, as well as poverty. It can also boost one’s sense of humor and help calm one’s temper.
- Physically it can help us with digestive problems and reduce pain associated with the abdomen. It is actually believed to be extremely helpful and beneficial for child birth.
- Carnelian can also help heal open sores and alleviate symptoms of rheumatism and other kidney disorders.
**Please note that all metaphysical or healing properties listed are collected from various sources. This information is offered as a service and not meant to treat medical conditions. Moirai.si does not guarantee the validity of any of these statements.
|Color||flesh-red to brown-red|
|Hardness (Mohs)||6.5 – 7|
Origin and Gemstone Sources
- India, Brazil, Uruguay, Madagascar and USA.
- Carnelian can be easily cleaned using warm soapy water and a soft cloth or brush. Be sure to rinse well to remove any remaining soapy residue. As with most gemstones, avoid the use of harsh household chemicals as they can permanently damage the color of your stones. You should also avoid prolonged exposure to extreme heat, as heat can damage or alter the color of your gemstones.
- When storing gemstones or gemstone jewelry, store them inside a fabric-lined box or wrapped in a soft cloth separately from other type of gemstones to prevent damage or scratches.
- It is best to remove any jewelry before engaging in any strenuous physical activity, such as exercise or sports.
- Avoid spraying perfume or hairspray on your precious gems.
- Taurus, Cancer, Leo, Virgo, Libra