Background * History
- The name »Aquamarine« was derived from an old Latin expression which meant »seawater«. Aquamarine is a blue to green-blue variety of precious Beryl. Aquamarine and other types of beryl are quite durable and hard, ranging from 7.5 to 8 on the Mohs scale of mineral hardness. A dark and deeply saturated blue is the most desirable and valuable Aquamarine color. Aquamarine is commonly heat treated to remove yellow color and enhance the bright blue tones of the gemstone. The natural blue and green colors of Aquamarine comes from ferrous iron and metallic ions.
Healing * Metaphysical Properties
- balance, courage, everlasting youth, glands, good luck, growth, happiness, hope, hormones, joy, love, peace, preparedness, stress, throat, thyroid problems…
**Please note that all healing or metaphysical properties listed are collected from various sources. This information is offered as a service and not meant to treat medical conditions. Moirai.si does not guarantee the validity of any of these statements.
|Appearance||light blue, blue, blue-green, pale green, transparent to translucent|
|Hardness (Mohs)||7.5- 8|
Origin and Gemstone Sources
- Although Aquamarine is a hard 7.5-8 on the Mohs scale, natural inclusions could make it vulnerable to breaking if exposed to extreme temperature changes or sharp blows. Do not use heat to clean Aquamarine. Prolonged exposure to sunlight could fade color. It can be cleaned very easily using warm soapy water and a soft brush.
- When storing gemstones or gemstone jewelry, store them inside a fabric-lined box or wrapped in a soft cloth separately from other type of gemstones to prevent damage or scratches.
- It is best to remove any jewelry before engaging in any strenuous physical activity, such as exercise or sports.
- Avoid spraying perfume or hairspray on your precious gems.
- Aries, Gemini, Scorpio, Aquarius, Pisces