Background * History
- The stone was given its name by Theophrastus (a Greek philosopher and naturalist) who discovered the stone along the shore line of the river Achates (Dirillo), in present-day Sicily, sometime between the 4th and 3rd centuries BC. Agate belongs to the Quartz (Silicon Dioxide) family of minerals. It is classified under the cryptocrystalline variety and more specifically as a variety of Chalcedony Quartz. Agates are usually found alongside numerous other types of rock, but it is primarily classified as volcanic rock. They frequently form within pockets of igneous, sedimentary and metamorphic rock such as Granite, Melaphyre and Porphyry. Deposits of Silicon Dioxide typically form in almond or ball-shaped nodules. As the deposits continue to build over long periods of time parallel bands are created through the process. Banded specimens are referred to as Agate, while uniform and blended species are classified as Chalcedony, Carnelian, Moss Agate or other specific trade names.
- Synonyms, old names, trade names: Agate Eye, Agate Geode, Agate Jasper, Banded Agate, Blue Lace Agate, Botswana Agate, Brecciated Agate, Carnelian, Chrysocolla, Dendritic Agate, Dry Head Agate, Fair Burn Agate, Fire Agate, Fossil Agate, Iris Agate, Laguna Agate, Lake Superior Agate, Landscape Agate, Mohave Blue Agate, Moss Agate, Onyx, Sard, Sardonyx, Scenic Agate, Snakeskin Agate, Sweet Water Agate, Thunderegg Agate, Tree Agate, Tube Agate…
Healing * Metaphysical Properties
- good luck, protection, nightmares, stress, fatigue, strength, harmony, inner stability, composure, maturity, security, self-confidence, lactation, imagination inspiration…
- Blue Lace Agate has a positive effect on emotions and attitude. It is a stone of encouragement and support. Its circular flowing energy calms, uplifts and elevates.
- Crazy Lace Agate brings joy to those who wear it. It is a stone of support and encouragement, elevating thoughts and promoting optimism. Creates a circular flow of energy, stimulating for the mind and attitude.
- Dendritic Agate brings abundance and fullness to all areas of life. Promotes inner stability, composure and maturity. It is a great crystal to use during pregnancy. Promotes marital fidelity and strengthens family connections.
- Fire Agate can stimulate sexual and physical energy, increasing stamina and circulation. It is helpful in treating sexual imbalances, including impotence or fear of sexual intimacy. This is a stone of creativity and expression. It is helpful in overcoming artistic blocks of all kinds. It will protect home and family. It is a crystal of ambition and high achievement.
- Laguna Agate benefits educators, counselors and professional coordinators. It stimulates the imagination and inspiration of writers and artists. It can stimulate sexual and physical energy, increasing stamina and circulation. It is helpful in treating sexual imbalances. Encourages security and self-confidence.
- Moss Agate is a stone of abundance. It is a stone of new beginnings and a stone of wealth. Moss Agate aids midwives in their work, reducing pain and assisting in delivery. It enhances mental concentration, persistence and endurance. It is helpful in reducing sensitivity to weather. It will attract new love or the re-growth of former love.
**Please note that all healing or metaphysical properties listed are collected from various sources. This information is offered as a service and not meant to treat medical conditions. Moirai does not guarantee the validity of any of these statements.
|grey background, brown, light grey, white bands
Origin and Gemstone Sources
- Argentina, Australia, Botswana, Brazil, Egypt, Germany, India, Madagascar, Mexico, Myanmar, Uruguay and the Arizona (USA).
- Keeping in mind that Agate is Quartz, be sure to not use any other objects that are harder than Agate for scrubbing or cleaning. It can be cleaned very easily using warm soapy water and a soft brush. As with most gemstones, you should not use any household chemicals when caring or cleaning your gemstone or gemstone jewelry. Extreme heat may cause permanent damage to the Agate.
- When storing gemstones or gemstone jewelry, store them inside a fabric-lined box or wrapped in a soft cloth separately from other type of gemstones to prevent damage or scratches.
- It is best to remove any jewelry before engaging in any strenuous physical activity, such as exercise or sports.
- Avoid spraying perfume or hairspray on your precious gems.
- Gemini, Virgo, Aquarius, Taurus, Capricorn